The main reason for this museum to be established at the Grand School of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (check the History part) was to have a practical basis for the teaching of natural sciences. Therefore, the sources of our museum are at the end of 18th century - beginning of 19th century.
The beginning of collecting can be traced to collections of different animals at the estates of the noble people of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Later specimens were collected by the staff of the Vilnius Imperial university, Vilnius Medical and Surgical Academy, Vilnius Museum of Antiquities, Stefan Batory University and other institutions.
Part of the exhibits are probably from the manors of the noble of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania: Sigismund II Augustus or Kristupas Radvila II (Christopher Radvila, Krzysztof Radziwiłł) (16-17 centuries), also from the Vilnius Imperial University (18-19 centuries). The largest part is from the Vilnius Museum of Antiquities (1855-1865).